Friday 23rd April 2021
It was wonderful to welcome everyone back to Oak Class on Monday for the beginning of Term 5. Having had to learn from home during January and February, the children and staff alike were all very happy to be back in the classroom together after the Easter break and we all settled back into our usual routine quickly and easily. It has also been great to see all the children working really hard and making steady progress. An added bonus has been being able to use the field again at break times.
This week we have been learning lots of different things, as usual:
- In Maths we have covered Probability with Mrs Short and learnt how to calculate missing coordinates and solve SATs-type problems with Mrs Godden.
- In Science, we looked at how nutrients travel around the body, which was very interesting, and next week we have the dissection of a cow's heart to look forward to!
- Last term we learnt how to conjugate regular -ER verbs in French and this week we started writing and illustrating our own simple stories using a variety of these types of verbs. Hopefully we will have some very entertaining stories finished and ready to display in class and online in a week or two.
- We have very much enjoyed designing our own websites on our chosen countries in Computing last term and this week, despite the odd technical glitch! Using Google Sites has been very easy and we have designed some very professional-looking websites.
- Finally, we have also been writing our Learning Journeys for Term 4, as we forgot to do them before Easter. These will be sent home at the end of the year and will include the children's reflections from Year 1 onwards.
We also had the excitement of chicks hatching in classrooms in KS1 this week, and then being taken to the baby chick creche in Mr File's office. Once grown, all the female chicks will be kept and housed outside in their own chicken run, where we hope they will eventually reward us with a regular supply of fresh eggs.
Please note that every child is given a spelling sheet to take home on Friday afternoon. If these are lost, they can always ask Mrs Vincent for a replacement, or log on to Google Classroom where they will find a copy posted each Friday for the following week.
We are looking forward to speaking to all our pupils' parents at next week's Parent Consultations on Wednesday and Thursday evening.
Mrs Short, Mrs Godden and Mrs Vincent
P.S. It is bluebell time again, so keep an eye out for these beautiful spring flowers if you are walking in the woods in the next week or two.