Welcome to the PTA section...
Who are we?
Our Parents, Teachers & Friends Association is a thriving group of friendly individuals who work together as a team to support our wonderful school. We believe we have a dual-purpose role - firstly, to help raise funds and secondly, to organise fun events so that pupils, parents and staff can enjoy time together socially. We pride ourselves on being an open and welcoming group and we always welcome new members. Our current committee is lead by Mike Collingwood and his super team! If you would like more information about how to get involved, please speak to any of the following or leave your details with Mrs Lewis in the school office and we will be in touch!
Mike Collingwood - Chairperson
Jo Bradford - Vice Chairperson
Jana Bartlett - Treasurer
Michelle Marsh - Secretary
At the end of 2016, Elham PTA was awarded charity status and was entered onto the Register of Charities. Our Registered Charity Number is 1170927. This means we can apply for matched funding and other grants/funding. If you work for a medium/large organisation, it is very possible your company offers matched funding, charity volunteer work days, etc. We would be very grateful if you could ask your company if they are able to support our charity in any way - either through matched funding, donation of materials/equipment or staff charity volunteer days. For example, matched funding from just one company could double our annual fundraising profit! The more input we receive, the more we can do to improve your child/ren's experience at school. More details about the PTA's objectives and current trustees can be found at http://beta.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details/?regid=1170927&subid=0
Our PTA is one way parents can become more involved in our thriving school community. New members are always welcome - you can be involved as much or as little as your time permits. If you would like to know more, please speak to our Chairperson - Mike Collingwood - or contact the school office. Meetings are held each term - alternating between mornings and evenings to provide everyone with an opportunity of attending. Why not come along to our next meeting to hear what is in the pipeline or suggest a new idea you may like to help organise?
Adding value to school life - how we use PTA funds
We have raised many thousands of pounds over the years. This money has been used to fund equipment, workshops and trips the school budget would otherwise not be able to provide. PTA funded projects since 2015 include the following...
In July 2018, the PTA subsidized a EYFS/KS1 theatre trip to see "What the Ladybird Heard". Everyone had a lot of fun and it fed into lots of learning back in the classroom in the ensuing weeks.
In the 2017/2018 academic year, the PTA purchased interactive screens so each classroom could have fully operational boards (total cost £6,400). We are grateful to the Kings School, Canterbury for donating two of the screens.
Due to the success of Team Elham in various sports, we needed a bigger trophy cabinet, which the PTA was delighted to finance in 2017/18.
In the 2017/2018 academic year, the PTA also bought numicon sets to assist with EYFS/KS1 maths; paid for the resources pack for the new Sex and Relationship Education course (EYFS through to year 6); donated drumsticks to the music room, bought 6 new digital cameras so the children could learn more about taking and editing digital photos. We also paid for an author to come into school, purchased a large water container so we can recycle rainwater for our garden area - better for our plants and the environment! In addition, the PTA donated a further £500 of books to the school library.
In June 2017, the PTA funded some new markings for the playground - including a large hopscotch, times table game grid, compass and target game. All the netball lines were redone and also some new smaller football goals added. We hope our children enjoy the new additions!
- In May 2017, the PTA funded 6 outdoor picnic benches to replace the wooden ones which were rotten. The new benches are maintenance free and guaranteed for 20 years. The classes will be using them for outdoor lessons in the summer term.
- In 2017, the PTA have also pledged money to the after school gardening club (who do an amazing job maintaining our remembrance garden and help teach pupils about horticulture). We have also donated funds to buy more musical instruments and contributed funds towards a EYFS/KS1 theatre trip to see 'The Tiger who came to tea'!
- In winter 2016, the PTA financed the "Yes, I can" initiative, which inspires pupils to pledge to do something they want to achieve (eg learn to swim).
- In autumn/winter 2016, we donated £3,300 of books for the new library, to help inspire children with exciting new stories and also enable more children to benefit from the Accelerated Reader scheme, which was introduced at the start of the 2016-2017 academic year.
- In Spring 2016, the PTA paid for science/maths magician workshops for all year groups, to help inspire and entertain children by combining science, maths and magic.
- Since 2015, the PTA have subsidised trips to the Pantomine at the Marlowe Theatre, which all year groups enjoy. This Christmas we are going to see Mother Goose! In previous years, we have also seen Peter Pan, Dick Whittington, Cinderella, as well as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
To help with the festive celebrations, the PTA also pay for the children to have a crackers at their Christmas lunch each year!
- In 2015, the PTA funded an all-weather tyre park for the children to enjoy at playtime.
- In the 2015/16 academic year, the PTA also paid for an all-school reptile encounter experience with Zoolab, bought every pupil a commemorative coin to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday, financed the Phonic Bug programme, contributed towards a leaver’s outing and subsidised an all-school trip to see Carnival of the Animals. In addition, we paid for a Roald Dahl workshop during book week, which the children really enjoyed.
We also run social events including parent/staff quiz nights, ‘Big Camp Outs’ on the school field for families, school discos for the pupils and of course our highly successful Christmas and Summer fayres, where all are most warmly invited to attend. Most years we try something new, led by ideas from parents - so why not get involved if you have an idea?
Funding from Local Businesses and Grants
DONATION FROM TESCO - APRIL 2018
In April 2018, the PTA received £1.067 from Tesco Bags of Help to spend on equipment for sports that are not necessarily "mainstream". Our aim is to encourage ALL children to enjoy sport, even if they are not inspired by the more traditional sports on offer in most schools.
DONATION FROM SANTANDER - FEBRUARY 2018
Do YOU work for a bank or other large organisation? If so, please ask whether they offer matched funding. You too could help contribute a large amount of money by effectively completing a form if so!
DONATION FROM NATIONAL LOTTERY AWARDS FOR ALL - JANUARY 2018
In early 2018, Karen Raeburn and Jane Waters successfully applied to the National Lottery Awards for All scheme and we were awarded £8,134 for the school to spend on establishing a Forest School area on site. This will mean that pupils will be able to enjoy outdoor learning in a safe and purpose-built area for many years to come.
DONATION FROM THE CREAM TEA SOCIETY- JUNE 2017
Our cream team raised a superb £213.53 after expenses! Thank you to the Cream Tea Society for kindly donating the delicious clotted cream and jam and also to all our wonderful bakers. We hope everyone enjoyed their lovely cream tea in the glorious sunshine, thanks for supporting us!
DONATION FROM BROWNS COUNTRY PROPERTY - MAY 2017
In May 2017, Browns Country Property presented Elham School PTA with a cheque for £187 - money raised at their recent valuation day. Thank you Browns! We will be using the money to improve the school's outdoor play area.
DONATION FROM BIGJIGS (HI VISIBILITY VESTS) - NOVEMBER 2016
Elham CEP School pupils and staff all received high visibility vests in November 2016 as part of a safety initiative organised by the PTA. The vests are reflective and also have our school logo on the back, so our children will stand out when walking on paths and also be easily recognisable when at venues where lots of other school children are present (for example, the Young Voices concert at the 02, which is attended by hundreds of schools each year). Our thanks go to Bigjigs, a wooden toy manufacturer and retailer based in Folkestone, who very generously offered to pay for them - and in fact organised the whole order, from design to despatch!
DONATION FROM OTHER LOCAL BUSINESSES - PAST AND PRESENT!
We are also very grateful to the many and very generous local businesses who have supported - and continue to support - our school by donating raffle prizes and other materials which are used in school by the pupils - THANK YOU!