At Elham C of E Primary School, through the teaching of a high quality education in English, children will write and speak fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others and through their reading and listening, others can communicate with them. Reading also enables children to acquire knowledge and to consolidate and build on what they already know; pupils are able to develop culturally, emotionally, intellectually, socially and spiritually, enabling them to participate fully as a member of society.
We aim to equip all children with a strong command of the spoken and written word, developing their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment.
We aim to ensure all pupils:
- Read fluently and with good comprehension.
- Develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information.
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language.
- Appreciate our rich literary heritage.
- Write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- Be able to discuss, elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas.
- Are competent in the skills of speaking and listening, being able to make formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.